<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/9018390?origin\x3dhttp://7holybooks.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

7.26.2005

Making a case for Vanity Fair as unique practical, Work type influence

I think I've stumbled on a genuine Work book here in Vanity Fair. I know what some reading this post who know novels might think: "Well, most novels portray common, A Influence life in some way." And I agree. That's obvious. Yet Thackeray in this book intentionally is writing about 'vanity fair' and calling it all vanity fair and saying this is vanity fair and this is the business of vanity fair and this is what happens in vanity fair. Vanity fair is his specific name for all the General Law phenomena happening. (For the record, in case it's not clear, 'vanity fair' is not used as the name of a specific place in this novel but is used as a metaphysical noun (and verb and adjective), so to speak, to describe everything occuring in the novel in terms of people, places, things, events, and all internal psychological and emotional and volitional phenomena.)

So, because the book is contained by this specific conceit of 'vanity fair' it is quite a dose of General Law description and depiction, and, not to mention what I wrote the other day, it is also a work that effects the reader in dredging up similar things that are read about in the novel itself. It forces you to confront in yourself your memories and imagination and what not. That aspect may not be central, but if it's even in just a small way it is there.

Think of how powerful the allegory of the Pilgrim's Progress is when seen in the light of the Work and with that in mind you can see how powerful a similar, intensive depiction of the section on Vanity Fair could potentially be. This is what this novel by Thackeray is.

Now, one caveat: there are most likely other great works of fiction that could take the place of what I claim for this work by Thackeray. I mean...Swift, Fielding, etc., who knows. I havn't read all the great novels. (I've read some Swift and Fielding though.) Even a work like Rabelais' Gargantua and Pantagruel (yet the satire isn't as direct towards its target as what Thackeray is doing). Thackeray's novel is unique in that he is consciously and relentlessly (and with real understanding) depicting specifically Vanity Fair: the General Law world in all its glory, so... (He is also covering it in a 'fully orbed' - as the theologians use that awkward phrase - way. Food, sex, money, mother-in-law. All levels of society, all types (at least at the less heroic, less spiritual, more purely raw A Influence level), all kinds of circumstances and situations and events, big and small...war [Napoleonic Wars], for instance, down to the little peccadilloes of small vain acts and society one-upmanship...)